Sunday, November 14, 2010

the sweetness of doing nothing


     November 11 was a holiday here in Canada.  It was Remembrance Day, sort of National Heroes' Day in my country. It was a Thursday, and Friday was a sandwich day so I used my extra hours and took the day off.  So, I have a super long weekend. I wanted to spend the four days in Calgary but the fare was just unreasonable and so I decided to just stay home. 

     I must say it has been a very unproductive long weekend, but I love it! I have all the 4 days for myself just doing some quiet time, reading the book entitled Captivating, watched some chick-flick Tagalog movies (yes, I do watch them!) and completed the first 2 seasons of How I Met Your Mother.  Today is my most productive day of the long weekend. I went out, (yes, for 3 days I was mostly in my room) and went to church to attend a discovery class and worship service. 

     One thing I've learned, going out for the weekend and doing some activities are great when you want to unwind from the busyness of your weekdays. But resting - doing nothing at all is better! Well, of course, you don't do it in all your weekends.  That's a different story.   There's always that point in your life that you just got so burned out that even doing activities on a weekend to divert your thoughts does not help at all.  What you need is to be renewed...to be re-charged. And that can only be done through REAL rest.

     Here's my own definition of a REAL rest.  You can make your own too... :)
  • stay at home or if it's the people at home that give you stress, then go to a place where you can just relax
  • do quiet time - reading God's Word and in prayer
  • watch movies that could make you laugh or cry or just anything light (over a popcorn would be nice)
  • read a good book (e.g. inspirational books)
  • eat good food or any food that you crave
  • do some afternoon naps
  • think of happy thoughts
     I know you can make a longer list than that.  Rest is precious, so grab it when you can!

     If you can't have one, ask God and He will definitely give you one. 


  “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matt 11: 28 - 30



    

No comments:

Post a Comment