Wednesday, June 13, 2012

28: Discipline



“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline,
    and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines the one he loves, 
    and he chastens everyone he accepts as his son.”
Hebrews 12: 5-6


At a young age, my siblings and I understood very well what discipline is. My father was a disciplinarian especially when it comes to our studies. We were not allowed to watch television on weekdays. We were not allowed to get grades below 80%. It's non-negotiable. No excuses. And so, it taught us to really take our studies seriously. And I was grateful for that. Because I won't be where I am now if my father didn't really push us to give our best.


And as I started working and living independently, discipline has to come from within me already. I need to practice it. And most of us would agree, it's not very easy. As for me, it takes God's grace to really be able to live it EVERYDAY. 


How about God's discipline? Have you been in one? I'm very much encouraged with the whole chapter of Hebrews 12. Days have been tough for me recently. Mentally & emotionally. But I know this is God's way of disciplining me, molding me. It's up to me to submit to His discipline. Well, I'd rather submit. At some point in my life, I've totally ignored God that it brought me to a much painful journey. So now, I'd rather obey because as always, God knows what's best for me.


They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it. - Hebrews 12: 10 - 11

No comments:

Post a Comment